About Me

My photo
The youngest of three girls, I used to be the littlest lamb. Then I met a boy, fell deep in love, and now I'm a Krasen! But in my heart, I'll forever be my parents' Littlest Lamb too. I'm told I'm over-dramatic, and I prefer to think of it passionate about my feelings, but you know, whichever...I tell myself I love spontaneity, but let's be honest, if I didn't have organization, I would lose it. So I love planned spontaneity (totally not an oxymoron). I love loving. And I love to write. Enjoy the drama (passion), organization, and love as it unfolds in my life...a life that is not my own, but is dedicated to serving my God and my husband. And a life in which I am clothed in grace.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Veg Faj

Before you hate on me for the title of the post. That's what Kate and I had for dinner Thursday night. I finally felt up to eating after my experiences this week (that you can read about {HERE}).

We made Vegetable Fajitas. She abbreviated it Veg Faj which actually sounds quite disgusting if you say it out loud. Try it then you'll get me. So we couldn't stop calling it that all day and night yesterday. So that's the new official name. Welcome to our world!

So I had a ton of veggies stocked up and fruit and beans and nuts because before I went to the doctor, noted in the blog referenced above, I thought I needed to go on a natural foods and raw foods diet to cleanse me while still giving me sufficient nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. You know, no processed foods or artificial sweetener or coffee or dairy. Seems silly now that I know what's wrong. But I love fruits and veggies no matter, so I'll eat them right up. So I decided to get creative and make Veg Faj. I know have been slacking on the cool-recipe-posts, but I haven't been all out cooking a whole lot with Casey being gone. I'll just do simple stuff for myself like soup or salad or lean cuisine or a sandwich. And that's not exciting.

This recipe is super easy and super healthy. Now that I don't need a natural foods diet, I added cheese and these cool Flat Out wraps that we had tucked away in the fridge. We substituted these for tortillas. Here they are. You can view the different kinds at the Flat Out Bread Website.


So, I had a red pepper, green pepper, and white/yellow onion (who really knows the difference between a white or yellow onion anyhow?) all sliced up.

Throw a saute pan on the stove with 1 Tablespoon of EVOO and cook the veggies until translucent or slightly browned (up to your standards and preference) on medium heat.


In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350.

Once the veggies were cooked, we added about 2/3 can of black beans drained (you can do however many black beans you want, but we figured we'd save some for salads). Also, add McCormick Fajita seasoning (we used just half the packet of seasoning) and about 1/4 cup of white wine. The seasoning packet says to add water, but we do white wine. When is there not an occasion to use wine in cooking? It's way more fun. And you don't have to use the seasoning packet, you can throw in your own spices, but Thursday, we were just going for simplicity.


Stir and let cook for 3-5 minutes. If you need to reduce the liquid, cover the pan.

Meanwhile, half about 12-15 cherry tomatoes (who doesn't LOVE fresh tomatoes?). From your fridge, pull out some shredded mexican cheese, FF sour cream, and salsa. (Remember I don't have to stick to the natural foods thing, so the cheese and sour cream and flat out are okay to eat now!)

I prefer homemade salsa, but I just did not have time nor feel up to it. Please see the recipe for homemade salsa at the bottom of this post though.

Prepare your flat bread with you desired fixins' and pile on however many vegetables you want. They're super healthy so it's okay to mound them up high. It's like a veggie bonanza.


Wrap up your tortilla, so it looks like a burrito. We kind of ended up with a fajitto (fajita-burrito).

Place on a baking sheet (we used the toaster oven pan cause it's just the right size). And put in preheated oven to completely warm through and melt cheese.


Top with a touch of sour cream and salsa and enjoy the Veggie Fajitto.


Disclaimer: It's not as huge as it looks. I use salad plates for dinner in our house. I don't know why. That's not a full-size dinner plate. Do not be alarmed or overwhelmed.


Homemade Salsa!! 
This stuff is like a party in your mouth. Especially with the fresh cilantro.

4 vine ripe tomatoes
1 red onion
1 lime
1 cn white corn
1 can black beans
1 small wishbone italian dressing
cilantro
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
2 serano, jalapeno, or habanero peppers (small)

Dice tomatoes, onion,  and peppers. Pour dressing over mixture. Rinse beans and corn and add to mixture. Add garlic and stir. Put lime in microwave for 10 seconds to realease all oils and juice. Roll lime on counter, then cut in half. Squeeze lime halves over mixture. Add chopped cilantro, as much or as little as you wish. Chill at least 3 hours.

*You can vary this as you like. Take out corn and add diced, ripe peaches, as an example.

No comments:

Post a Comment