About Me

My photo
The youngest of three girls, I used to be the littlest lamb. Then I met a boy, fell deep in love, and now I'm a Krasen! But in my heart, I'll forever be my parents' Littlest Lamb too. I'm told I'm over-dramatic, and I prefer to think of it passionate about my feelings, but you know, whichever...I tell myself I love spontaneity, but let's be honest, if I didn't have organization, I would lose it. So I love planned spontaneity (totally not an oxymoron). I love loving. And I love to write. Enjoy the drama (passion), organization, and love as it unfolds in my life...a life that is not my own, but is dedicated to serving my God and my husband. And a life in which I am clothed in grace.

Friday, April 20, 2012

World Famous (kind of)

I really hate how these posts lately are about food, but with our little sweet peas, I don't have time for much else besides our girls (predominantly), work, running, and cooking!

I made these little pieces of heaven because the Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix was on sale (and not expired), so I just couldn't resist. Well, that and Sal, Stac, and Dave are all passing through this weekend. It's kind of a big weekend for the girls to see some pretty important people in our lives. AND they got to meet Ash this week too. Wow oh wow.

Anyways, these are my world famous cinnamon rolls. Sit back and relax while I teach you what I know. (Please note: there are some small secrets that come with experience that I regret I just can't teach over a blog. If you mail me money, I'll mail cinnamon rolls. Side job...you know how that goes.)

Start with marching to the grocery store and purchase a Pillsbury Hot Roll Mix. Not all grocery stores have them, so you may have to go on the hunt.

Follow the directions for the most part. A kitchen aid mixer works amazingly well. I have one. His name is Javier.

Attach the dough hook contraption to the kitchenaid. Pour the yeast and 1 cup of hot water (at 110 degrees F) into mixer and mix thoroughly at level 1 until completely mixed.


Next add the mix, egg, and 2 T butter. Mix on  second speed until the dough forms a ball around the hook. Flour the dough, and put the ball in sprayed glass bowl and cover with a towel to let rise and double in size (about 30 or 40 minutes).


Meanwhile, get out pastry cutter, pastry scraper, rolling pin, sugar, cinnamon, and half a stick of butter. Melt butter.


Once dough is doubled, dump dough onto floured surface. Roll dough to a rectangular size.


Using a pastry brush, spread butter over entire area of dough. Scoop sugar and cinnamon onto dough and spread around with hands until a thin layer covers the entire area, even to the edges. No one likes to bite into a cinnamon roll without the proper amount of cinnamon sugar. Get real.


Roll the dough starting from the top and rolling towards you all the way to two inches left. The last two inches pull the dough and fold over the roll away from you and tuck underneath to "seal" the roll.


Using a dough cutter, cut the roll into sections. I usually go about 1.5 to 2 inches wide. Keep in mind they rise some more!


Spray a pan with cooking spray or cover with parchment paper. Put cinnamon rolls on pan in a warm spot (I usually put them on the stove on top of a preheated oven to 375 degrees F). Let them rise to almost (but not quite) doubled in size (I like to wait about 30-35 or so minutes).


Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

While the cinnamon rolls are baking, you'll want to make your glaze or white icing.

You'll need your kitchenaid mixer again, but this time attach the silver contraption for mixing sauces and liquids and whipping. Add 1/4 cup of milk plus 1 T of milk. All we ever have on hand is skim milk, and it works perfectly fine! Then add 1 tsp of vanilla (we went all the way to Mexico for our honeymoon just to get Mexican vanilla...it makes a world of difference in baking).

 
Pour in 1 lb of powdered sugar and mix until slightly moistened. Scrape bowl. Mix an additional 8 minutes on 2nd speed until icing is smooth and of drizzle consistency. Don't be afraid to store extra in the fridge. And there will be extra. I need to start halving that recipe.

Drizzle white icing over warm cinnamon rolls.


And voila. Here you have perfect, delcious homemade cinnamon rolls.

Warning: The process is not quick. I rarely make these for that reason. But the girls and I played during all the rising and baking processes, so it was pretty convenient.

No comments:

Post a Comment