About Me

My photo
The youngest of three girls, I used to be the littlest lamb. Then I met a boy, fell deep in love, and now I'm a Krasen! But in my heart, I'll forever be my parents' Littlest Lamb too. I'm told I'm over-dramatic, and I prefer to think of it passionate about my feelings, but you know, whichever...I tell myself I love spontaneity, but let's be honest, if I didn't have organization, I would lose it. So I love planned spontaneity (totally not an oxymoron). I love loving. And I love to write. Enjoy the drama (passion), organization, and love as it unfolds in my life...a life that is not my own, but is dedicated to serving my God and my husband. And a life in which I am clothed in grace.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Why the camel is my favorite animal

Many people do not understand why the camel is my favorite animal. Well, for that very reason, I have created a list of why.

First, how cute are they?


I'd like to quote a camel fact website (that I actually find quite funny):

"[Camels are] docile and sweet under a caring hand, 
but stubborn and angry if ill treated, the camel both wins your heart and your respect."


Basically, it seems that if you're nice to camels, they won't spit on you.


And THIS is why I find them so fascinating:
  • They can store up to 80 pounds of fat in their humps. This can be broken down into water and energy when sustenance is not available.
  • This means they can travel up to 100 desert miles without water.
  • It is usual for a camel to work for only six to eight months of the year; the remainder of the time it needs to rest and recuperate.
  •  A fully-grown adult camel stands 6 feet at the shoulder and 7 feet at the hump.  A fully-grown camel can weigh up to 1542lbs.  A camel's long, thin legs have powerful muscles which allow the animal to carry heavy loads over long distances.  A camel can carry as much as 990lbs, but a usual and more comfortable cargo weight is 330lbs. 
  • They do not sweat. When they drink water, they conserve it. They can be 120 degree heat and still not sweat a drop.
  • So, naturally when camels do get thirsty, they drink lots. They can drink up to 30 gallons in just 13 minutes.
  • Camels provide milk, which I personally would not want to drink. I mean let's face it, I don't even drink cow's milk, but still. But their milk can be used for drinking, making butter, or making soap. It is rich in vitamins, minerals, and immunoglobulins. Sounds healthy, but it's not for me.
  • Camels are able to withstand changes in body temperature and water consumption that would kill most other animals. Their temperature ranges from 93 degrees at night and up to 106 during the day, and only above this threshold will they begin to sweat.
  • They can withstand at least 20-25% weight loss due to sweating (most mammals can only withstand about 15% dehydration before cardiac failure). A camel's blood stays hydrated, even thought body fluids are lost, until this 25% limit is reached.
  • A camel's thick coat reflects sunlight, and also insulates it from the intense heat radiated from the desert.
  • Their long legs help by keeping them further from the hot ground.
  • Camels have been known to swim.
  • Long eyelashes and ear hairs and sealable nostrils form a barrier against the sand.
  • Their widened feet help them move without sinking into the sand.
  • The kidneys and intestines of a camel are so efficient at retaining water that their feces are so dry they can fuel fires. (Good news! If you have a camel, you don't need fire wood.)
  • Their red blood cells have an oval shape, unlike those of other mammals, which are circular. This facilitates their blood flow when they are dehydrated. These cells are also more stable in order to withstand high osmotic variation-- so the cells don't rupture when they drink huge amounts of water.
  • Some cultures judge a person's wealth by how many camels they own. When I win the lottery, I'm going to buy a camel.
  • This is a camel parade (below). Riding a camel in Dubai is on my bucket list.



No comments:

Post a Comment