About Me

My photo
The youngest of three girls, I used to be the littlest lamb. Then I met a boy, fell deep in love, and now I'm a Krasen! But in my heart, I'll forever be my parents' Littlest Lamb too. I'm told I'm over-dramatic, and I prefer to think of it passionate about my feelings, but you know, whichever...I tell myself I love spontaneity, but let's be honest, if I didn't have organization, I would lose it. So I love planned spontaneity (totally not an oxymoron). I love loving. And I love to write. Enjoy the drama (passion), organization, and love as it unfolds in my life...a life that is not my own, but is dedicated to serving my God and my husband. And a life in which I am clothed in grace.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Family night!

On Sunday, we grilled out and invited my parents over to eat and watch a redbox (with a little football and financial talk thrown in). All we needed to add for family night was a game!

We made these awesome turkey burgers. Casey found the recipe a while ago from Men's Health, and we've made them at his parents house twice. Then last time, his dad meshed two turkey burger recipes to give the burgers more flavor (with added spices and herbs). And this is what we got!

 (Top Left: whole wheat buns, Bottom Left: Grilled red onions, Center: Turkey burgers with mozz and grilled pineapple, Far Right: Casey's turkey burger with mozz and grilled pineapple and jalepenos)

Here's the recipe:

Serves: 4
1 pound lean ground turkey, divided into 4 patties
chopped red onion (a little more than a smidge)
chopped cilantro (a little more than a smidge)
garlic powder (smidge)
onion powder (smidge)
black pepper (smidge)
seasoned salt (smidge)
4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
4 slices pineapple (fresh or canned works)
4 thick slices red onion
4 slices swiss or mozzarella cheese
4 whole wheat buns

Place ground turkey in bowl and mix with all spices (amounts as desired). Divide into 4 patties. Cook the turkey patties on high heat, 4 to 5 minutes per side (or until cooked through), basting with the teriyaki sauce as you go. While the burgers cook, grill the pineapple and onion until lightly charred. Toast buns over the grill or in the oven as desired. Put each burger on a bun and layer on onion, pineapple, and cheese; top with more sauce.

Please note: We used canned pineapple because of the season, but fresh tastes way better. Use fresh if you can! The cilantro adds a world of flavor; spring for it. And we used mozzarella cheese because I'm not a big fan of swiss. Buns are optional. Also, we made smaller burgers to make 5 rather than 4. It still works! 

We also made sweet potato fries and broccoli salad (fresh broccoli, red onion, sunflower seeds, golden raisins, etc). And Mom brought over an apple crisp that is mainly apples with oats on top and very, very little sugar added (only a matter of tablespoons in the entire recipe). So we got a fiber, quercetin boost from our apples (totally trying to justify it).


(It tastes way better than it looks there. haha.)

                           (Left: sweet potato fries- baked and Right: low-sugar apple crisp)

P.S. Kate picked out the Redbox movie earlier on Sunday. She was pretty excited about it because it had Bruce Willis in it (great actor), and we'd never heard of it. Jackpot. So once the meal was ready, we all went upstairs to eat and watch the movie. Casey put it in and got it ready, and then as the movie was starting, he comments, "You know this was made in 1993." We all started laughing. It was funny cause Kate thought the movie had just come out or something. Ha ha. But it was actually a good movie! Young Bruce Willis and SJP before her Sex and the City days.

Anyways, I love family nights. Always a good close to the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment