About Me

My photo
The youngest of three girls, I used to be the littlest lamb. Then I met a boy, fell deep in love, and now I'm a Krasen! But in my heart, I'll forever be my parents' Littlest Lamb too. I'm told I'm over-dramatic, and I prefer to think of it passionate about my feelings, but you know, whichever...I tell myself I love spontaneity, but let's be honest, if I didn't have organization, I would lose it. So I love planned spontaneity (totally not an oxymoron). I love loving. And I love to write. Enjoy the drama (passion), organization, and love as it unfolds in my life...a life that is not my own, but is dedicated to serving my God and my husband. And a life in which I am clothed in grace.

Friday, December 30, 2011

$$$

Not $$$ because of a windfall or we won the lottery or anything, but because money has been on my mind alot. Worrying about it. Silly, right?

I know I should not worry about it at all. Trust in the Lord. He has blessed us, and we use our money responsibly, but still. And I know I shouldn't worry about tomorrow or what the next day or week or year will bring, but that's my nature as a sinful, sometimes-disbelieving child.

25“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his lifeb?
28“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
--- Matthew 6:25-34 --- 

Verse 28 is my fav. "See how the lilies of the field grow." Without effort. Love that.

There are a couple things on my mind this morning, all of which come back to money. Shocking, right? I strongly dislike finances. Casey and I are pretty good at dealing with them (if I do say so myself), but partly because money and focusing on finances scares the ish out of  me. I hate money because its so dangerous and can disappear so quickly and causes many a disagreement, but also because when it comes down to it, you need money to live in this world.

Sigh.

So, I've just been thinking about expenses in the upcoming year and expenses this month, and then there's the puppy we want to get and mini trips we'd like to take. And it's just stressful even planning it all. We can do it, but to be perfectly honest, I'd much rather just throw it all into savings. No worrying, no spending, but also no enjoyment. Sure, we work to make money to live, but we also want to enjoy a few things that we are able. The joy of a little puppy! A mini 2 night trip to the beach for our first anniversary. A plane ticket to visit some friends or experience NYC at Christmas before kids come along. Time to do this stuff while we can. Together. And we know we want to go back to Alaska. So we're planning that for 2013. Time to save, save, save.

OH! And the awesome first anniversary gift I'm secretly planning and scheming. Can. Not. Wait.

Then there's also the debt (school loans!...All too familiar to some of you I'm sure) we're scraping extra money to get rid of those encumbrances quickly while still throwing bits and pieces into savings. And mostly,  there's the things we want to get other people because we love them. No, not to buy their love. Just because!

For one, I'm stoked about an impending anniversary surprise for my parents coming in the next 1-20 years (I had to give a wide range so that they wouldn't be suspicious at any particular year cause they faithfully read my blog). I am just bursting at the seams with the ideas that Kate and Dawn and I have been tossing around.  YAY. We wish upon wishes that we could more or do it this year, but it'll be more awesome when it all does come together. It is their 35th this year, so that's kind of a big deal too. 35. Does anyone stay together that long anymore? I'm happy about that. I'm even more happy that they still enjoy each other and go on dates and love on each other after 35 years. I would give them the world if I could.

Then there's Casey's parents. This year is their 25th. Another kind-of-a-big-deal year. And his brother is graduating. And the list goes on. So many things to celebrate!

It's funny because every time I feel like Casey and I are doing a good job and on top of our finances, the Lord sizes me up and hits me with whopper. A reminder that we have plenty, and He has provided and will provide. Every month it's been something. This month, so far, it was $400 on my car. Last month it was tires for Casey's truck. The month before that I believe it was nearly $400 for the dentist and before that $400 for tires for my car. Before that it was my ER bills. Why always $400? And why is it always something? Isn't God funny? I think so. Anyhow, we still have our house. We still have jobs. And we still have each other (and our fabulous families). I'd say we are definitely watched over.

Time to balance my checkbook, then stop thinking about money. And, instead, think about something worth way more of my brain waves!...at least until mine and Casey's next financial pow-wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment