About Me

My photo
The youngest of three girls, I used to be the littlest lamb. Then I met a boy, fell deep in love, and now I'm a Krasen! But in my heart, I'll forever be my parents' Littlest Lamb too. I'm told I'm over-dramatic, and I prefer to think of it passionate about my feelings, but you know, whichever...I tell myself I love spontaneity, but let's be honest, if I didn't have organization, I would lose it. So I love planned spontaneity (totally not an oxymoron). I love loving. And I love to write. Enjoy the drama (passion), organization, and love as it unfolds in my life...a life that is not my own, but is dedicated to serving my God and my husband. And a life in which I am clothed in grace.

Monday, March 26, 2012

Summer fare

I know I haven't blogged in forever. Life has been super busy. Between our girls, and jam-packed work schedules, and jobs, and birthdays, and traveling, I feel like I've been running 300 miles an hour. Constantly. That's fast.

So, anyways, last night when we finally settled down after a busy weekend (We didn't even get to clean the house--horrors! I like cleaning every single weekend. A clean house is a happy house.) we made this amazeballs Blackened Salmon with Fresh Tomato Salad. We threw in a cheese biscuit for each of us for good measure. It was all so good, that I HAVE to share the recipe with you. It's super easy too. And if salmon is on sale at your local grocer, even better. Or if you're a good stream fisherman, the best situation. It was not on sale at HT yesterday (booo), but given the hot-to-trot weather lately, fish and fresh veggies just seemed like it fit right in on a warm Sunday night. Summer time food. I gathered lots of new recipes last week that I feel like are appropriate for hot weather. So, yes, I have a menu made for two months out. That's not overkill is it?? The homemade soups are on hold till Fall, and I'm breaking out more of the fresh fish and fresh veggie and fresh fruit recipes.

Here you go. Grab a bib first, you may salivate. Just a warning.

Casey made the fish and Kate and I made the tomato salad. Casey is an awesome cook and always super helpful (I make sure I try to tell him all the time how much I appreciate his help). I need to get him an apron that says "Kiss the Cook". Because I can kiss him. Since he's mine.

Blackened Salmon Fillets
1 T ground paprika
1/2 T cayenne pepper
1/2 T onion powder (we used minced onion because we didn't have onion powder)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp basil
1/4 tsp oregano
2 salmon fillets, skin removed (and bones...shouldn't that go without saying?)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted

In a small bowl, mix paprika, cayenne pepper, onion powder, salt, peppers, thyme, basil, and oregano.
Brush salmon fillets on both sides with 1/2 melted butter. Sprinkle evenly with the spice mixture. Drizzle one side of each fillet with 1/2 remaining butter.
In a large skillet, over high heat, cook salmon, butter side down, until blackened (2-5 minutes). Turn fillets, drizzle with remaining butter, and continue to cook until blackened and fish is easily flaked with a fork.


Fresh Tomato Salad
2 large tomatoes, diced
1/2 onion, chopped (I just realized I totes forgot to add this. We even bought it at the store yesterday, and it sat in front of the cutting board in our fruit and veggie basket staring at us. Oh well. Would be a nice touch I'm sure, but was delish without!)
1 cucumber, sliced
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 c chopped fresh basil
1/2 c chopped parsley
2 T crushed garlic
salt/pepper to taste
2 T white wine vinegar

In a large bowl, combine tomato, onion, cucumber, pepper, basil, parsley, garlic, and vinegar. Toss and add salt and pepper to taste. Chill and serve.


P.S. Get this! Only 42 calories per serving. Eat up.

I like to keep a stash of cheese biscuits in the freezer for random meals. When I'm feeling ambitious, I'll make a batch and keep the whole thing in the freezer to use as necessary. That makes life easy. And we don't need to eat them all at one meal anyhow.

Here's the whole meal plated up. This is my plate. Casey and Kate ran upstairs before I could even get the camera back out.


(Kate and I split one fillet, that's why it looks all jagged.)


No comments:

Post a Comment