About Me

My photo
The youngest of three girls, I used to be the littlest lamb. Then I met a boy, fell deep in love, and now I'm a Krasen! But in my heart, I'll forever be my parents' Littlest Lamb too. I'm told I'm over-dramatic, and I prefer to think of it passionate about my feelings, but you know, whichever...I tell myself I love spontaneity, but let's be honest, if I didn't have organization, I would lose it. So I love planned spontaneity (totally not an oxymoron). I love loving. And I love to write. Enjoy the drama (passion), organization, and love as it unfolds in my life...a life that is not my own, but is dedicated to serving my God and my husband. And a life in which I am clothed in grace.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

You might be redneck if...

So, I have a question for you. I need to know how redneck is too redneck?

I know you see every example of redneck if you just go to Wal-Mart, but seriously. These people are everywhere.

I was taken aback yesterday on my run when I saw someone driving his riding lawn mower to the gas station. In Mint Hill. I mean it gets a little open and country-ish at a point, but we live in a new development with stores and little shops and what not, and it's definitely NOT redneck.

My first thought was "oh boy." Then I got a little closer, and this wasn't just a lawn mower driving to the gas station. This was a lawn mower with someone driving AND a passenger riding on the back. Really? I mean, I'll give you a lift in my car if you need some gas for your mower and don't want use your skateboard or scooter or even your feet.

Then, as I kept running and got closer, I realized the driver was a little boy. Maybe 5 years old. And my heart melted. That wasn't redneck at all. The passenger was his dad...teaching him how to drive the riding mower. They took it for a spin to the gas station to fill it up with gas. For all I know, he was teaching his son an important life lesson in how to pump gas too.

Not only did I feel terrible, but how precious! Talk about quality time. That boy probably felt on top of the world. Kinda how I felt when dad would let me, and Katie, and Dawn drive the riding lawn mower at age 5. How awesome was I? Very. What 5 year old gets to drive? I know when people get older, mowing the lawn is sort of a hassle and just another chore, but gee whiz, as a kid it's like the grass cannot possibly grow fast enough.

I wanted to give that dad a thumbs up and a high five and tell him I used to do the same thing with my dad. Then I thought that might be a little creepy. And I was too tired to shout and cause a scene.

I decided then and there that riding your mower to the gas station is only redneck if your pot belly sticks out the sides of your overalls and you have chew or dip in your mouth and are missing a tooth. I also decided that my kids will definitely have their first driving lesson on a riding lawn mower, because I really don't see any better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment