About Me

My photo
The youngest of three girls, I used to be the littlest lamb. Then I met a boy, fell deep in love, and now I'm a Krasen! But in my heart, I'll forever be my parents' Littlest Lamb too. I'm told I'm over-dramatic, and I prefer to think of it passionate about my feelings, but you know, whichever...I tell myself I love spontaneity, but let's be honest, if I didn't have organization, I would lose it. So I love planned spontaneity (totally not an oxymoron). I love loving. And I love to write. Enjoy the drama (passion), organization, and love as it unfolds in my life...a life that is not my own, but is dedicated to serving my God and my husband. And a life in which I am clothed in grace.

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Our House is FINALLY a Home

So, I finally had to put on my real big girl pants, cause I'm officially an adult. I think.

I have a full-time job, which I've had for over a year, but I've found that you can still pretend to not be an adult even with a full time job. Casey and I are married. Oh my good gracious! We bought our very first house. I just turned 28 (I feel like I'm getting glares right now). And I actually like wine now. So, I feel like this means I can't run away from being grown-up anymore.





So the fun part about a new house is decorating. Casey LOVES this part. Ha ha jk. He is so so so helpful though because he's the most awesome EVER. Did I mention he's the best? He helps make decisions on paint and helps me pick out art and throw pillows and who does that? Casey. I mean, sigh, he just rocks my socks pretty much everyday. The not fun part about decorating is how much it costs to be cute and trendy and elegant and fun all at the same time and make it look totally HGTVed.

Well, I feel like I can finally put up pictures of the house because it's done. It's finally a home. Granted there's some little upgrades, changes, and what not that we still want to make, but we love it and can finally relax at night without a list knocking us over when we walk in the door. After a day at work, the gym, a shower, making dinner, getting things ready for the next work day, an occasional softball or hockey game or weekend away, and errands, who honestly has time for more work on the house? If we were little hummingbirds and could beat our wings a million times a minute we'd have been done with the house a month ago. I know we've done pretty well. I know there are people who have boxes lying around after a year or two years even, but I was determined to not let that be us. Even though to never unpack a box is easier the next time you move, why even have the stuff in the box if you don't ever need or want to use it? I wouldn't be able to sleep at night, clutter and extra stuff makes nervous. Case-in-point: I hear that for most people full refrigerator and pantry makes them happy. Not me, a full refrigerator and pantry makes me so nervous. The more you have, the more you lose your ultimate neat factor. And I just plain feel like it's so much to eat, and I don't like that. Anxiety sky-rockets. Casey laughs at me, and I know its strange. Some things you just can't help.

I'd like to give a shout-out to my awesome momma for helping us with all the painting AND recovering the pillows on our lovely couch. She's wonderful and spent so much precious time to help us. The original pillow covers were quite terrible looking, hopefully you find the new ones pleasant to look at. She's a fantastic combo of Martha Stewart and Bob Villa. Seriously, she can do EVERYTHING. You do not want to challenge her. And she's just a tiny little woman.

Okay, so here is our calming, ocean-view, get-away: the master bath. Love. The first picture best shows the color. The second two pictures make the color look brighter than it actually is because of the flash. And the super bright is quite overwhelming so don't think we'd actually pick a color that bright. If we did, we wouldn't need an overhead light.








Paint: Valspar signature "Pacific Pleasures"
Art: Bed, Bath, and Beyond (painting)
Decor: Little Antique store in Boone--King Street (candle holder)


Here is our simple, clean, punch-of-color master bedroom, with a little cozy reading nook (also known as a chair). The shelving was a B to put up (excuse my French). Seriously. We have so many holes in the wall...puttied and painted now...but we spent hours. Do you know how long it takes to get two shelves exactly perfectly right? We even measured 27 times. They were perfectly level...just not with each other). Thank you, hubby, for your patience and diligence with me and those shelves. And looks so so good now.














Paint: Valspar signature "Emerald Isle" green and "Shoreline Haze" neutral.
Art: Marshalls and ArtWalk (Boone, NC)
Shelving: Crate and Barrel



Love the powder room. When I shyly asked Casey if we could paint the powder room the color of the bridesmaids dresses, he immediately said yes. He said he was wondering which room I was going to ask to paint purple...so I think he was just waiting for my request. It's a small room so I think he was happy I just didn't ask for our bathroom or bedroom to be purple. I wouldn't do that to him. The colors in here to me have a rustic, elegant trendiness. Do any of those words go together?

Please note: the purple appears a little brighter in the pics than it actually is due to the flash. It's a deeper purple. I swear I don't do neon. I'm an eighties baby, but fully aware that we are now in the 2K (do people say that anymore?) era.








Paint: Valspar signatures "Magician's Cloak"
Art: Bed Bath and Beyond


This is our downstairs family room. Simple but cozy and a place for people to hang out while the party in the kitchen is happenin.










Art: Stolen picture from a Cruise (not literally stolen...dad took a pic in the art gallery of a painting I loved and blew it up for me to have :) so sneaky)
Wall Clock: A find from Casey's grandparents


This is our kitchen. Love. So not me and Casey to pick red. But we did. We wanted the kitchen to be bright. It's more vibrant than it looks in the pictures, and I don't think they do the kitchen justice at all, but here it is! Then the third picture makes it look orange...I think I'm just not a good photographer, but I guess that's beside the point. The whole house looks way more awesome in person. Promise.

I love the fruit paintings. Cause I love fruit. Notice the placemats (which are actually too small for you to see the detail in the picture). I found them last, but they draw in alllll the colors we have in the kitchen. I love it.







Paint: Valspar signature "Quite Red" (original on the naming huh?)
Art: Etsy
Frame collage: Walgreens (cute doesn't always have to be pricey)


Here is our comfy, cozy loft family room. These couches are little nap and cuddle havens. So fun. The pillows have been recovered, again compliments of Red. Love her. Shelving installation assistance from Kate, thank goodness for her fail-proof techniques or the shelves would still be lopsided (courtesy of me). Also some assistance from Casey and his manly DeWalt drill.










Art: World Market
Shelving: Bed Bath and Beyond
Knick-Knacks on shelves: Hobby Lobby


Guest Room/Study/Library
This is kind of a miscellaneous room right now, unfortunately. It's serves it purpose decently, but it will definitely be improved as time goes on. Still filled with light and we even have little treats for guests. I know, I know, we're awesome. We're booked out through March already.









Art: TJ Maxx (Home Goods)
Shelving: Katie


This is our other bedroom (currently Fancypants Jr. lives here. Par-tay)







Guest Bathroom. Love the punch of pink to accent the shower curtain and wall art and pictures, in combo with the clean of the white.







Paint: Valspar signature "Rose Dust" (It's more bubble gum-my than we anticipated. We were hoping for more berry. So we'll see how long this lasts!)
Art: Katie's (Hallmark I believe...)


And then we have our teeny backyard. Perfect for a bulldog soon. It fits our grill just perfectly, but we want to take out the concrete sidewalk and build a little stone patio for the grill to sit on and a little 2 seater bistro table. We also hope to have a baby garden with tomatoes, zucchini, and herbs--oh my. And want to add a hydrangea or peony bush/plant on the corner of the garage in the end of September or October (Fall is planting season I hear). We also have two blackberry bushes that we will plant...sprigs from Dawn and Mike's blackberries bushes...so we should have a few blackberries next summer and lots and lots the summer after that! (no picture...cause I forgot)

Thank you for touring with us, we hope you enjoyed our house. Any donations you'd like to make for further improvements are welcomed. Totally kidding. Please don't!

We hope to have a lovely house-warming (extremely delayed) party for everyone to see.

Our little townhouse is officially a home, and we couldn't be happier!

(and it's walking distance to the nail salon. could it get any better?)

No comments:

Post a Comment