About Me

My photo
The youngest of three girls, I used to be the littlest lamb. Then I met a boy, fell deep in love, and now I'm a Krasen! But in my heart, I'll forever be my parents' Littlest Lamb too. I'm told I'm over-dramatic, and I prefer to think of it passionate about my feelings, but you know, whichever...I tell myself I love spontaneity, but let's be honest, if I didn't have organization, I would lose it. So I love planned spontaneity (totally not an oxymoron). I love loving. And I love to write. Enjoy the drama (passion), organization, and love as it unfolds in my life...a life that is not my own, but is dedicated to serving my God and my husband. And a life in which I am clothed in grace.

Monday, September 24, 2012

Pumpkin Crumb Cake

Fall is here! Break out the pumpkin. So stoked for this weather we've had lately. The girls love it. We roll the truck windows down, and their ears flap in the wind. They are so stinkin cute.

I got this recipe from Dawn. Amazeballs. Seriously. You have to try it.

Perk of having a sister and brother-in-law with a huge vegetable garden? Even though they have 6 kids, they still have plenty to share. So that means, come fall, they have tons of fresh pumpkin to share! Fresh pumpkin is way better than Libby's canned any day. Oh-em-gee. You haven't tasted fall till you've tasted fresh pumpkin.

Here's a picture of the pumpkin we used for the crumb cake. Fresh from the garden.


That's 2 cups of pumpkin. Exactly what we need for the crumb cake.

That being said, the ingredients are as follows:

1 package yellow cake mix
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted

1 can (or 2 cups) pumpkin puree
3 eggs beaten
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cloves
1/8 tsp nutmeg

1/2 cup white sugar
3 T butter, softened




Base layer:

Reserve 1 cup of the cake mix. 
In a large bowl, combine the remaining dry cake mix with the beaten egg and melted butter. Press into a greased 8x8 or 9x9 pan.




Pumpkin Filling:

Mix together pumpkin, vanilla, 3 eggs, 1/2 c white sugar, brown sugar, and spices. Pour the filling over the unbaked crust.




Crumb topping (and ready to go in the oven):

In a small bowl, mix the reserved 1 c cake mix, 1/2 c white sugar, and 3 T softened butter. Crumble over the filling.


Bake at 350 for about 50 minutes or until the center has firmed.

Fresh from the oven:


A warm taste test for an afternoon snack: 


Casey and I couldn't wait for it to cool...actually, it was mainly me that had a hard time waiting :) But he jumped on board too.

 You need to try this. I find it more of a dessert than a breakfast cake. But suit yourself! Whatever reason you can come up with to eat it is even better. Cause it's really quite amazingly delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment