About Me

My photo
The youngest of three girls, I used to be the littlest lamb. Then I met a boy, fell deep in love, and now I'm a Krasen! But in my heart, I'll forever be my parents' Littlest Lamb too. I'm told I'm over-dramatic, and I prefer to think of it passionate about my feelings, but you know, whichever...I tell myself I love spontaneity, but let's be honest, if I didn't have organization, I would lose it. So I love planned spontaneity (totally not an oxymoron). I love loving. And I love to write. Enjoy the drama (passion), organization, and love as it unfolds in my life...a life that is not my own, but is dedicated to serving my God and my husband. And a life in which I am clothed in grace.

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Oven Baked "Corn Dogs"

I can't believe how long it's been since I've done a meal blog. Cray cray. So here we go.

Oven Baked "Corn Dogs"

Why the quotation marks, you ask? Well, because I don't eat pig. Pig parts or pig meat...unless it's bacon. But that's a recent development and it has to be for a reason. (Example: It's in a recipe. Or it's crispy and just sitting in front of me made by either Mom or Casey. Those are the only times. That I'm aware of.) For this recipe though, we used veggie dogs! Casey was totally up for trying this. He's such a trooper when it comes to vegetarian meals I want to try.

We used these veggie dogs. At Harris Teeter they are found in the packaged produce section...as in where you can find bagged lettuce and carrots and what not.


Ingredients:

1 box corn muffin mix, 8.5 oz (we used Jiffy)
1/2 c flour
1 eggs
1/4-1/2 c milk
1/4 stick butter, melted
sprinkle of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1 scallion, finely chopped
5 jumbo veggie dogs (1 package)


Action shots:

Combine muffin mix with the flour, then stir in the eggs, milk, and melted butter. Season the mix with cayenne, hot sauce, and scallions. The batter will be a thick, sticky biscuit dough. Place hot dog in the bowl of batter and coat with the dough (we put them on skewers too like real corn dogs). Don't coat it on too thick or it will off during cooking. But you still want to make sure you cover the whole dog.


Hand model creds: Katie Lamb

Ready to go in the oven:

Place in a sprayed pan. Preheat oven to 425.


Bake about 14-15 minutes or until a deep brown all over.

Ready to eat:


Served with a few sweet potato fried, strawberries and grapes, and ketchup (not shown) for dipping.

Ratings:

Kate gave them a 7 out of 10. Seriously?
Casey gave them a 8 out of 10. What!
I gave them a 9.5 out of 10.

I thought they were just delicious. They took me back to my childhood days of eating corn dogs like 5 times as a kid. Yum! Except these dogs each had 3 grams of fiber, 13 grams of protein, and only 100 cal. Yes, please! We're on board the healthy train. Definitely making these dogs again.

I think Casey is excited that I liked these smart dogs so much because he really likes Brats on rare occasions. You know, like a fall football Saturday. I won't even entertain the thought of brats. Gross out. So he had a brilliant idea that he could grill a brat with fixins for him and a smart dog for me. Sure thing, baby. He's a grill master, and I can't remember the last time I had a hot dog! And you can eat veggie dogs while you're preggo. Bonus!


1 comment:

  1. WHAT?! You eat bacon now! How did I not know this? Glad you wised up. : )

    ReplyDelete