About Me

My photo
The youngest of three girls, I used to be the littlest lamb. Then I met a boy, fell deep in love, and now I'm a Krasen! But in my heart, I'll forever be my parents' Littlest Lamb too. I'm told I'm over-dramatic, and I prefer to think of it passionate about my feelings, but you know, whichever...I tell myself I love spontaneity, but let's be honest, if I didn't have organization, I would lose it. So I love planned spontaneity (totally not an oxymoron). I love loving. And I love to write. Enjoy the drama (passion), organization, and love as it unfolds in my life...a life that is not my own, but is dedicated to serving my God and my husband. And a life in which I am clothed in grace.

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Coffee for two, please...um, I mean one...uh okay, none.

After my coffee experience this morning, I've decided that today is the day to officially start a blog. Totally blog-worthy morning (in my eyes at least...and probably anyone else who has a love-hate addiction to coffee).

So, I'm married now (yayyyyyyyyyy), and that means I've learned how to make coffee--at home! Raise the roof for saving money...I feel like even though it's only been 7 weeks of marriage (one of which doesn't really count because we had bottomless cups of free coffee on the honeymoon cruise), we're saving gazillions of dollars MAKING coffee instead of BUYING it. It's so great. I feel so green when we make coffee every morning.

With that being said, obviously we always make coffee for two. 10 cups to be exact. One carnival-cruise-travel-coffee-mug full for me and one carnival-cruise-travel-coffee-mug for Casey (yes, we bought matching ones on said honeymoon cruise cause we're so darn cute). Then an extra little thermos full for Casey to take to work just cause I feel like that's what men do. They take extra thermoses of coffee to work. So this is the coffee recipe (10 cup pot) I learned when we got married.

So, last week, Casey had to stay in Tennessee over night for work, and I had to figure out how to make 4 cups of coffee. Coffee for one. Nightmare. I was literally scared. I think I may have been sweating. Bad coffee = bad news. It was surprisingly good, so I didn't have any reservation this morning when I had to do the same (Casey was in Greensboro...I wasn't being mean and not making him any).

I turn on the coffee while I'm getting ready and later walk into the kitchen to leave for work and find approximately 3 oz of coffee has been brewed. I mean, what do you do but stand there for 20 more minutes and watch the coffee percolate while you're getting later for work by the second? So that's what I did.

Oh. My. Word. Seriously. After, what?, 3 hours, I still only had half of a travel mug's worth of coffee. It must be broken. It's probably just me actually. Whatev. To make matters worse, I prematurely put my milk and splenda in the mug (which I NEVER have done in my life probably) assuming I would end up with a full mug...but I just couldn't wait any longer for this coffee to brew or why even go to work? Honestly.

So I poured what I had and the coffee was disgusting. I think I spit it into the sink. For one, too "sugary" and milky. And for two, it was cold. Beyond me how it could possibly be cold since it was JUST brewed...cold by my standards anyhow (usually, I drink my whole cup of blazing hot coffee before Casey or Katie can even take a sip).

So I get in my car with my nasty coffee and head to work late and stuck in traffic. Now Casey calls just cause he's, like, the sweetest husband ever, and of course, all I can say is "I WANT COFFEEEEEEEEEEEEE" (and he's the one that's been up since 2 am). So I recount my devastating story, and he's like why don't you just buy a cup of coffee?? And of course, I'm all about the fact that we don't spend money on coffee anymore (nevermind the fact that we have to actually buy our grounds, cream, and filters), so I refuse to buy a cup of coffee and our coffeemaker MUST be broken. So of course, on my way into work, I stop at my faithful Wilco Hess gas station that sells Dunkin Donuts (only THE best) coffee, to fill up. Not only should it taste A-MAZING cause I paid $1.06 for it (break the bank...can we even afford Christmas presents this year?), but because of everything I had to go through to get it.

So not-amazing. Or maybe I'm just used to our coffee now. And the extra love it's made with in the morning. And cause I'm so proud of our efforts to save money. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow's coffee is better. Undoubtedly so if Casey makes it. Cause I'm sure the coffee pot will work just fine for him...coffee for two tomorrow, please.

2 comments:

  1. Pam, I love your new blog because #1 you're a great writer and #2 you're super funny. These are things I already knew. I also think it's funny that despite working as a barista at D&D and being an avid coffee drinker for years, you can't make coffee for 1. I can't either. That's why I bought a Keurig.

    ReplyDelete
  2. casey just told me those single filter coffee things have carcinogens. i'm not sure if he made that up though. good think we make our own coffee though cause the dunkin next to our house closed down this week. horrors.

    ReplyDelete